In a 2006 study in New Zealand it was found that by having Pre-birth Acupuncture there was:
- 35% reduction in number of inductions
- 31% reduction in epidural rate
- 32% reduction in emergency Caesarians
Betts, D and Lennox, S Acupuncture for Pre birth Treatment.. Journal of Medical Acupuncture. Vol. 17 #3 May 2006
A 1998 study in Italy showed that 75% of breech babies turn using Acupuncture between 33 and 36 weeks.
Cardini F Weixin H Moxibustion for correction of breech presentation: a randomized control trial. JAmA 1998 Nov11,280 (18): 1580-4
- Adams J, Lui C-W, Sibbritt D, Broom A, Wardle J, Homer C, et al. Women’s Use of Complementary and Alternative Medicine During Pregnancy: A Critical Review of the Literature. Birth, 2009;36 (3): 237-45
- Adams J, Sibbritt D, Lui C-W. The Use Complementary and Alternative Medicine during Pregnancy: A Longitudinal Study of Australian Women. Birth. 2011.
- Smith CA, Cochrane S. Does Acupuncture have a place as an Adjunct Treatment During Pregnancy? A Review of Randomized Controlled Trials and Systematic Reviews. Birth. 2009;36 (3):246-53.
- Smith CA, Collins CT, Crowther CA, Levett KM. Acupuncture or acupressure for pain management in labour. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011 (7):CD009232
- Pennick VE, Young G. Interventions for preventing and treating pelvic and back pain in pregnancy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007 (2): CD001139. PubMed PMID: 17443503.
- JBG S, MU N, JA C, Jr. KL. Acupuncture for low back pain in pregnancy – a prospective, quasi-randomised, controlled study. Acupuncture in Medicine (ACUPUNCTURE MED),. 2004 2 2004 Jun;22(2):60-7
- Lund I, Lundeberg T, Lonnberg L, Svensson E. Decrease of pregnancy women’s pelvic p[ain after acupuncture: a randomised controlled single-blind study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2006;85(1):112-9
- Wedenberg KAJ, Moen B, Norling A. A prospective randomized study comparing acupuncture with physiotherapy for low-back and pelvic pain in pregnancy. Acta Obstet Gyne-col Scand. 2000;79(5):331-5
- Kvorning N, Holmberg C, Grennert L, Aberg A, Akeson J. Acupuncture relieves pelvic and low-back pain in late pregnancy. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2004;8(3)::246-50
- Smith C., Crowther C, Beilby J. Acupuncture To Treat Nausea and Vomiting in Early Pregnancy: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Birth. 2002;29(1):1-9
- Smith C, Crowther C, Beilby J. Pregnancy outcome following women’s participation in a randomised controlled trial of acupuncture to treat nausea and vomiting in early pregnancy. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2002 6//;10(2):78-83.
- Carlsson CPO, Axemo P, Bodin A, Carstensen H, Ehrenroth B, Madegard-Lind, et al. Manual Acupuncture Reduces Hyperemesis Gravidarum: A Placebo-Controlled, Randomized, Single-Blind, Crossover Study. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2000 10//;20 (4):273-9
- Manber R, Schnyer RN, Allen AJ, Rush AJ, Blasey CM. Acupuncture: a promising treatment for depression during pregnancy. Journal of affective disorders. 2004 Nov 15;83(1):89-95.
- Manber R, Schnyer RN, Lyell D, Chambers AS, Caughey AB, Druzin M, et al. Acupuncture for depression during pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Mar;115(3):511-20.
- Coyle ME, Smith CA, Peat B. Cephalic version by moxibustion for breech presentation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 (2):CD003928.
- JBG dS, MU N, JA C, Jr. KL. Acupuncture for insomnia in pregnancy –a prospective, quasi-randomised, controlled study. Acupuncture in Medicine. 2005 Jun 2005;23(2): 47-51.
- Skouteris H, Wertheim EH, Rallis S, Paxton SJ, Kelly L, Milgrom J. Use of complementary and alternative medicines by a sample of Australian women during pregnancy. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2008; 48(4): 384-90.